Nonequilibrium Thermodynamics: Transport and Rate Processes in Physical, Chemical and Biological Systems, Fourth Edition emphasizes the unifying role of thermodynamics in analyzing natural phenomena. This updated edition expands on the third edition by focusing on the general balance equations for coupled processes of physical, chemical and biological systems. Updates include stochastic approaches, self-organization criticality, ecosystems, mesoscopic thermodynamics, constructual law, quantum thermodynamics, fluctuation theory, information theory, and modeling the coupled biochemical systems. The book also emphasizes nonequilibrium thermodynamics tools, such as fluctuation theories, mesoscopic thermodynamic analysis, information theories, and quantum thermodynamics in describing and designing small scale systems.
- Provides a useful text for seniors and graduate students from diverse engineering and science programs
- Highlights the fundamentals of equilibrium thermodynamics, transport processes and chemical reactions
- Expands the theory of nonequilibrium thermodynamics and its use in coupled transport processes and chemical reactions in physical, chemical and biological systems
- Presents a unified analysis for transport and rate processes in various time and space scales
- Discusses stochastic approaches in thermodynamic analysis, including fluctuation and information theories, mesoscopic nonequilibrium thermodynamics, constructal law and quantum thermodynamics