We see further when standing on the shoulders of giants.
We learn faster by learning from the experience of predecessors.
This book is the English version of the third edition of 龜毛機構設計：講究與將就, with some contents revised and an additional chapter of readers' Q&A added. Graduating from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the National Taiwan University of Science and Technology in 1984, I have more than 25 years of experience in product development and design, DFM/DFA, and ODM/OBM, while having the practical experience in the production process from trial assembly, testing, improvement, simulation to troubleshooting. I had engaged in successful mass production of products, including automotive sheet metal parts, hand tool hardware, telephones, test devices, palmsized radios, PDAs, and smart phones.
In my design career, I had observed that when inexperienced beginners were trying to look for a mechanical design book with practical design examples, they often ended up finding none. Experienced designers, however, had no willingness nor time for such a complicated and trivial work of writing. Fortunately, having engaged in mechanical design for more than 25 years and achieved mastery of relevant skills, I can now concentrate on preparing this book as a retiree. Therefore, after 39 months of efforts, the world's first unique mechanical design book has finally been completed.
This book is especially suitable for design engineers (mechanical design, product structure design, and industrial design) in the fields of computers, communications, consumer electronics, stationery, toys, sports equipment, and peripheral accessories. As this book features clear textual description, supplemented with pictures, you will get it as you read it.
By reading this book thoroughly:
1. You can rectify incorrect concepts as early as possible; after all, if you do it right in the first place, you will always get it right.
2. You will significantly reduce the number of times of modification, the time for repeated design modifications, as well as production and tooling modification costs.
3. You, as an inexperienced designer, can enhance your own skills without solely relying on experienced ones' guidance.
4. You, as an experienced designer, will be enlightened at the right time to integrate your own design experience without wasting time on repetitive trials and errors.
5. You, as a design supervisor, can adopt this book as a reference for the development of internal education and training as well as design guidelines to increase design efficiency in your department.
6. You, as a project manager, can anticipate design defects and remind designers to respond in time to improve the overall product development efficiency.
From the perspective of mechanical designers, this book delves into various issues of ªdesign.Ý For other technical discussions on molds, injection molding, secondary processing, and surface treatment, you may need to collect relevant information by yourself. With the figure on the left page and textual description on the right page, you may find it easy to read the book and explore the content in depth. Therefore, this book is wellsuited for design technicians as well as engineering and technical supervisors. Hopefully, in addition to absorbing my experience, you will draw inferences from this book when reading it and eventually excel in this field. As what the butterfly on the front cover of this book symbolizes, I hope that you, after reading this book, will break out of your own cocoons and undergo the metamorphosis to outstanding design talents so as to excel in this field.
Oct 2020, Taipei